Sukhi Bhaji is a quintessential potato fry made for faral in my home. The potatoes are boiled and then tempered in this recipe. The nuttiness from peanuts and the spice from ginger and green chillies make this dish absolutely delectable. Curry leaves add to the delicious aroma. While the secret flavors that add the zing to this dish are the lime juice and sugar.
I am sure, reading this you are already tempted to make this bhaji. Sukhi Bhaji gets ready in under 30 mins, and is loved by all.
This Potato Bhaji has been one of my favorite ways to make potatoes. Some families add extra sugar, but I like mine perfectly balanced. This Sukhi Bhaji recipe is mostly made for faral on fasting days. While some people eat red chili powder and some don't. You can totally skip adding red chili powder, if you don't eat it as a part of faral.
I have other faral recipes on the blog and I thought you might be interested!!
Is this Recipe Vegan and Gluten-Free?
Yes, this recipe is both vegan and gluten-free.
Which Type of Potatoes to Use for Faral Potato Bhaji?
I prefer to use Golden Potatoes for this recipes. The Yokon golden Potatoes are less starchy, so they work perfectly for this recipe. The more starchy potatoes you use, there is a higher chance of Sukhi Bhaji turning into mashed potatoes.
How to Boil The Potatoes?
You can steam the potatoes, pressure cook the potatoes using the traditional pressure cooker or the Instant Pot.
First step to Boil/ Steam the Potatoes is to thoroughly wash them, as we are going to cook them with the skin on.
I personally prefer using my instant pot. Place the trivet in your Instant Pot. Place the Potatoes on top of trivet. Add 2 Cups of Water and Close the lid. Place the vent on the sealing side. Press pressure cook and let it cook for 6 minutes. Quick Pressure Release after 5 minutes. Open the Lid and check if the Potatoes are done. Once done add the potatoes to chilled ice cold water.
If you prefer to use a traditional pressure cooker, Place the Potatoes in 6 lt Pressure Cooker. Add 2 Cups of Water. The Potatoes should be submerged in water. Cover the lid and cook for 4 whistles. Let the pressure release naturally. Once the cooker cools down, check if the potatoes are cooked. Once done add the potatoes to chilled ice cold water.
What to do if the Potatoes are Over Cooked ?
Sometimes it is hard to know the starch content of potatoes and this can happen to anybody. Once the potatoes are cool, peel them and chop them. If you feel that the potatoes might become mushy when tempered, Cut the potatoes and put them in the freezer for 10 mins.
This step will help the potatoes retain its shape when cooked with the spices.
Ingredients To Make Sukhi Bhaji
Peanut Oil - I like to use Peanut Oil to make Sukhi bhaji. Traditionally in Gujarat, Groundnut/ Peanut Oil is used for most of the cooking, and it adds a very nutty warm taste to the food. But, if you prefer you can use any flavorless oil you like.
Cumin Seeds - Cumin Seeds are used in this Bhaji for tempering and it's warm earthy aroma.
Curry Leaves - Curry Leaves is an essential ingredient used to add a gorgeous aroma and its rustic taste in this recipe.
Ginger and Green Chili - I am using whole green chilies and ginger & green chili paste in this recipe. It adds to the spice palate of this beautifully complimenting the sourness of lime juice and sweetness of sugar.
Roasted Peanut Powder - This is how you can Roasted Peanut Powder. Lightly Roast the Raw Peanuts. Once they start to smell nutty, transfer them to a plate and let them cool down. Pulse the peanuts in your food processor, or mini high powered blender. Make sure are scrapping the sides every 10 -15 secs. This will ensure that you get finest peanut powder, without making it into peanut butter.
Potatoes - You will need Boiled/ Steamed Yukon Gold Potatoes to make this recipe. The red potatoes work fine too.
Lime Juice, Salt and Sugar - The three main Burst of Flavors that are going to compliment the rest of ingredients for this recipe. Try it for yourself. I promise you will fall in love with this recipe.
Cilantro - Add lots and lots of freshly chopped cilantro to the Sukhi Bhaji. The freshness of cilantro adds very delicately refreshing notes to this recipe.
More Gujarati Recipes You Might Like!!
- Pressure Cooker or Instant Pot
- Heavy Bottom Pot
Boil The Potatoes
- 6-7 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tsp Salt
For Sukhi Bhaji
- 1 Tbsp Peanut Oil
- 2 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Green Chili Finely chopped
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 2 Tsp Ginger and Green Chili Paste 1 Inch ginger and 1 Green Chili, make the paste using a mixer grinder or hand pound it, using a pastel.
- 5-6 Cups Boiled and Diced Potatoes
- 2 Tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder Add only 1 Tsp if your Red Chili Powder is Spicy
- 1 Tsp Dhanajeeru (Cumin - Coriander Powder)
- 3/4 Cup Roasted Peanut Powder
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 3 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt Adjust Salt as per your liking
Boil The Potatoes
- Place the trivet in your Instant Pot.
- Place the Potatoes on top of trivet. Add 2 Cups of Water and 1 Tsp Salt. Close the lid.
- Press pressure cook and let it cook for 6 minutes. Quick Pressure Release after 5 minutes.
- Open the Lid and check if the Potatoes are done. Once done add the potatoes to chilled ice cold water.
- Once the potatoes are cool, peel the skin of the potaoes, and dice the potatoes into large pieces.
For Sukhi Bhaji
- Add Oil to a heavy bottom pot. Once it is hot, add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Next add in the finely chopped green chilies and curry leaves.
- Now add the ginger and green chili paste. Mix and add the boiled diced potatoes
- Mix everything well.
- Start adding the spices. Start with cumin coriander powder and red chili powder along with salt.
- Mix well. and then add peanut powder.
- Now add sugar and lime juice. Give everything a thorough mix.
- Garnish with finely chopped fresh cilantro.
- Serve Hot with Rotis, Rajagra ni Bhakri or Rice.
Leave a Reply