Ponk bhel is a supremely delicious and very healthy chaat recipe. Ponk or Hurda is fresh Jowar grains harvested in winter between December to February. This recipe is famous in the Western Region of India, especially in the states of Gujarat and Maharashtra.
What is Ponk?
Ponk is also famously known as Hurda in Maharashtra and Tender Sorghum in English. These are fresh tender jowar grains, that are lush and supple with an earthy sweet taste. They are harvested every year between the months of December and February.
Crunchy and tender in texture, these lush green fresh tender sorghum, are roasted and usually eaten as a snack. All you need is a drizzle of lime juice, salt and a sprinkle of sev.
Matla Undhiyu and Pank are famously eaten together in Gujarat. There will be street-side shops selling Gujarat's winter bounty together, and we would enjoy this all winter long, almost every week. It is pure nostalgia.
Health Benefits of Tender Sorghum
? Ponk is Gluten Free
? It is very rich in dietary fiber. Hence, it helps to strengthen the gut and facilitate digestion
?It regulates insulin levels. It is a complex carbohydrate so it digests slowly, and doesn’t spike blood sugar levels.
?Lowers bad cholesterol, so this makes a great snack for people with heart diseases, and high blood pressure levels.
?Rich in Antioxidants, hence fighting oxidative stress and keeping diseases at bay.
?Ponk also facilitates metabolism and is great for weight loss.
? Ponk is a rich source of protein, which also helps in regenerating cells and building muscle in the body.
Different Ways to Enjoy Hurda
- Roast the hurda and them to your salads.
- Add them to your tikkis. They add a beautiful texture.
- Generously sprinkle in your soups as a topping.
How to Make Ponk Bhel?
Ponk Bhel is super easy to make. I use frozen ponk, here in the US from Deep Indian Kitchen. These are available in mostly all Indian Stores.
Ponk makes a delicious chatpata bhel. Add sev, spicy green chutney, lime juice, finely chopped onions, tomatoes and cucumbers with a generous sprinkle of lime juice.
You can add shredded cheese and melted butter if you want to make it cheesy in the end.
More Recipes from the Blog
- Mixing Bowl
- 150 gms Ponk
- 2 Tbsp Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Onions
- 2 Tbsp Cucumbers
- 1.5 Tbsp Green Chutney
- 1/8 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Chaat Masala
- 2 Tbsp Sev
- 1 Tbsp Lime Juice
- If you are using fresh ponk, add it to a heavy bottom pan, and roast is on medium flame. If you are using frozen ponk, cook it as per packaging instructions.
- Roast until you see lights charred specs.
- Transfer it to a mixing bowl.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, sev, green chutney, salt, chaat masala and lime juice
- Mix everythig well.. Enjoy immediately.
- Eat it the same day. If you have to store it, store them in an air-tight container for a day.
- It is a very simple, healthy, and delicious recipe. Have it for your snack.
Leave a Reply