Broccoli Fritters are a delicious snack and super easy to make with minimum pantry staple ingredients. And if you are anything like me, and shop the huge bag of broccoli from Costco, you need to make these fritters more often than you think.
What are Broccoli Fritters?
Broccoli fritters are a wonderful pan-fried snack that should definitely be in your recipe box. These are so easy and quick to make, it is unbelievable. I like to make these for us and my toddler. A mix of broccoli, onions, garlic, cheddar cheese, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Now if you want to make these only for adults, go in there with some more spice, add chili flakes, and jalapeno, and these taste bomb.
How to Make these Fritters?
Start with cutting the broccoli head into broccoli florets and wash them thoroughly and let them air dry. While the broccoli is air drying, prep the rest of the ingredients. Roughly chop a yellow onion, peel the garlic cloves, and crack an egg, and bring it to room temperature.
Now add your broccoli, garlic, onions, breadcrumbs, almond flour, salt, oregano, black pepper, and an egg in the food processor. Pulse until everything is well combined. Transfer the mix to a mixing bowl. Lay parchment paper on the baking tray. Start making the patties and place them on the parchment paper-lined baking tray.
Prepare a plate lined with a paper towel. Keep it aside.
Now to a non-stick frying pan, add olive oil and heat it up. Once the oil is hot, you can add the broccoli fritters to the oil on medium heat.
Let them brown in the bottom and then flip them. Once they are browned evenly on either side, place them on the paper towel-lined plate. Serve them hot with your favorite dipping sauce!
Tips To Make the Broccoli Fritters
- Add all the ingredients to the food processor and pulse until everything comes together. This is a great way to make your toddler eat wholesome veggies.
- I love to make these with a mix of vegetables like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
- You can use the spatula to shape the fritters while pan-frying them. Don't worry if your fritters don't have a perfect shape.
- Heat the olive oil thoroughly before adding the broccoli fritters to the pan. The best way to test it is to add a little bit of the broccoli sprinkles and see if they sizzle. If they do, the oil is ready.
- Fry the fritters on medium heat. You want to crisp either side of the broccoli perfectly while making sure that the egg in the batter is cooked thoroughly.
Can you Bake these Fritters?
Yes, absolutely! You can bake them in the oven or air fry them. Bake them at 400F for 12 -15 mins. Turn them midway, and let them cook for another 6-7 minutes.
Can You Make these Gluten-Free?
Making these gluten-free is very simple. Substitute the breadcrumbs with either crushed nuts, cornflakes, or potato chips.
Can you Make These Vegan?
You can totally make these fritters vegan too. Substitute cheese with vegan cheese and substitute egg with a flax egg. To make a flax egg, add 1 tbsp flax powder and 3 Tbsp water. Mix, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
How to Store These?
To refrigerate the leftovers, simply place the fritters in an airtight container and store them for up to 3-5 days. Heat them up on the pan or bake them at 350F for 5-7 mins.
To Freeze them before cooking place the fritters on the parchment paper lined baking tray for 5 hours. Then place them in the freezer safe container and freeze them. Thaw them overnight and bake at 400F for 12 - 15 mins.
To Freeze Them after cooking, place them in a freezer-safe container. Thaw them overnight and bake at 350F for 12 - 15 mins.
Video Recipe to Make the Broccoli Fritters
More Recipes From The Blog You Might Like
- Food Processor
- Mixing Bowl
- Frying Pan
- 4 Cups Broccoli Florets
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Yellow Onion Roughly Chopped
- 1/3 Cup Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 Cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Large Egg
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil For Frying
- Cut the Broccoli Head into Florets.
- Add the broccoli florets, garlic cloves, roughly chopped onions, breadcrumbs, almond flour, salt, oregano, black pepper powder and an egg.
- Pulse until the whole mix is well combined.
- Add the broccoli mix, to a mixing bowl.
- Line a baking tray with a parchment paper. Take about 3-4 tbsp's of the broccoli mix and make the patties. Lay them in the baking tray. Don't worry if they are not perfect in shape.
- Line a plate with a paper towel and keep it aside.
- Add olive oil to a frying pan. Let it heat up. Once hot add the broccoli fritters and cook them on medium flame.
- Once they brown from the bottom, flip them.
- Once they brown from both the sides, then place the cooked broccoli fritters on the plate lined with a paper towel.
- Read the blog thoroughly
- Add spice if you are not making these for your kids. I love to add a little bit of cilantro and jalapenos when I am not making these for my daughter.
Leave a Reply