Khichdi Bites are a delicious snack made from leftover khichdi. It is a beautiful take on making the leftovers taste amazing. These are great for after-school snacks or pack them in your kid's lunch boxes.
What are Khichdi Bites?
A great way to use the leftover khichdi. This recipe is not only delicious it is super easy to put together. Add onions, garlic, and green chilies to your leftover plain or masala khichri and form small patties. You can also stuff them with cheese. Airfry them until golden brown and crisp on the outside. And serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
More Options to Make This Recipe
- You can add finely chopped veggies like finely shredded carrots, beetroots, finely chopped broccoli, cabbage, or cauliflower.
- Additionally, you can also add spices like curry powder, red chili powder, peri-peri masala, or even Maggi's magic masala.
- You can stuff these khichri bites with cheese.
- You can make this recipe with any kind of leftover pulao or masala rice too.
Recipe Ingredients to Make Khichdi Bites
- Khichdi - You will need khichdi or masala rice from the day before. The mushy texture of the khichdi helps everything to bind together, but these work with leftover pulao too. Just mush the rice with your hands and sprinkle water to bring everything together.
- Vegetables and Aromatics - I am using only onions, spinach garlic, and green chilies, but you can also finely shred or chop carrots, beetroots, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc. You can substitute spinach with kale, swiss chard, methi, or cilantro.
- Spices - Since my khichdi was well-spiced, I am just adding salt. But you can spice it up with some curry powder, peri peri masala, or Maggi's magic masala
More Snack Recipes From The Blog
Jump To: Recipe
- Air Fryer
- 1 Cup Khichdi
- 1 Small Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1-2 Thai Green Chili
- 1/2 Cup Spinach Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Oil
- Add leftover Khichdi to a mixing bowl.
- Next add in finely chopped onions, spinach and minced garlic and green chilies.
- Mix everthing with hand.
- Now take about 2 Tbsp's of the prepared mixture and form small patties.
- Now preheat the air fryer at 350F for 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared khichdi bites, and lightly brush the oil on each patty.
- Air fry the khichdi bites for 350F for 12minutes.
- Cook until the khichdi bites crisp up and turn golden brown.
- Read the recipe to learn to make this snack in a few different ways.
- If your khichdi is not mushy, sprinkle some water and it will make the rice mushy, and everything should come together.
- You can double the recipe according to your requirement.
- This recipe is a great after-school snack.
- If you are specially making khichdi to make these bites, use the khichdi after it completely cools down.
- You can refrigerate these patties for up to 2 days. Heat them up on a pan or air fry them at 350 F for 2-3 minutes.
- To Freeze these, Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper, lay the khichdi bites, and freeze them for 2 hours. Then once they are frozen, transfer them to a freezer safe container or ziplock and freeze them for upto 3 months.