I am finally preparing some postpartum snacks with mom, before Baby V is here. These very delicious Khajur Anjeer Burfi's are perfect concoction of all the nuts to give me energy and help me recover post delivery. It is super easy to make because all you have to do is pulse all the dry fruits in the food processor, roast them in ghee and there you have it. Make either burfis or energy balls as you wish. Yes, it is that simple.
You must be thinking where to source the dried pitted medjool dates and figs, perhaps you can find them at your nearest Indian grocery store or on amazon. I am making this recipe for me as a postpartum snack. So I have added all the nuts, you can skip adding all the nuts I have used or add all of them. And it is really is up to you, but trust me if you decide to add all the nuts, than this burfi not only tastes delicious but also is very healthy.
I am due in a week and I am so thrilled. I have craved sweets throughout my pregnancy. And, I mostly snacked on dates and figs. It amps up our blood and provides nutrients to the baby so it was definitely my go- to almost every single day during my pregnancy.
I also make these during festivals, mostly at the time of Ganesh Chaturthi and Diwali. This festive delicacy makes for a perfect gift, it is healthy, sugar free, gluten free and perfectly balanced.
Benefits of Eating Dates and Figs Burfi
- Super simple to Make
- These are naturally sugar-free
- It is packed with nuts, that gives you energy
- The Poppy Seeds in the Burfi will help you recover with bone health post partum, especially will help to heal your back
- The Khajur and Anjeer (dates and figs) are naturally rich source of Iron.
- These Energy bites are great source of anti-oxidants and help with reducing postpartum hair loss.
Is the Dates and Figs Nut Burfi Vegan?
The recipe uses ghee aka clarified butter to toast the other nuts along with dates & figs. If you want to make these vegan, you can use coconut oil instead of ghee.
Is this Recipe Gluten-Free?
Absolutely, the recipe uses all the ingredients that are naturally gluten-free.
How to Make this Recipe Step - Step?
- Prepare all the dried fruit by pulsing it in the food processor.
- Toast the nuts separately, roast the poppy seeds , keep them aside.
- Add the dates and figs and toast it in ghee until they soften.
- Now add in the toasted nuts and poppy seeds. Mix till they are incorporated
- Now place the mixture on an aluminum foil.
- Let it come to room temperature. Roll it into balls or make a log. If you are making logs, to make burfi, you will be able to make 2 logs.
- Roll them in toasted poppy seeds, pistachios and dried coconut powder.
These are absolutely delicious, and I swear by them. My family loves these so much that I had made them and sent them to India once. Little niece of mine wouldn't even share it with anyone.
So, If you make these, please don't forget to write me your feedback. I can't wait to hear from you. And if if you know someone who is going to deliver their baby soon, make these for them. They will love it.
Khajur Anjeer Burfi | Date & Fig Nut Balls
- Food Processor
- 1 Cup Almonds
- 1 Cup Cashews
- 1 Cup Walnuts
- 1/2 Cup Pistachios
- 2 Cups Dried Chopped Figs
- 24 oz Pitted Dates
- 5 Tbsp White Poppy Seeds 3 Tbsp's in the burfi + 2 Tbsp for topping
- 4 Tbsp Ghee Coconut Oil (If you are making it vegan)
- 2 Tbsp Roasted White Poppy Seeds
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Powder
- 2 Tbsp Finely Chopped Pistachios
- Add all the nuts to the food processor. Blend them until finely chopped. Keep them aside.
- Now add the Figs and Dates, pulse until they for a paste like structure. Keep it aside.
- In a pan add 5 Tbsp's white Poppy Seeds. Roast them until they turn light golden. Keep them in a separate bowl.
- Now in the same pan add 2 Tbsp's ghee. Add the chopped nuts, toast the nuts until aromatic. Keep them aside.
- Again, in the same pan add 2 Tbsp's ghee. Add dates and figs. Toast them until they soften. Once they soften add, the toasted nuts and poppy seeds. Mix them well.
- Lay the layer of an aluminum foil on your kitchen island. Add the mix on it. Let it come to room temperature.
- Either roll the balls and roll them into poppy seeds, coconut powder and crushed pistachios. Or Make two logs of the dry fruit mix, top it with poppy seeds, coconut powder and crushed pistachios
You might also like some other recipes from the blog, check them out!
You can order dates & figs online. Here are some links that might help.
My recipe is extremely simple to make, and absolutely delicious. If you have kids or adults at home, and you are looking for a way to feed them dried fruits this recipe is your best friend. Khajur and Anjeer have so many benefits and I can't emphasize enough for my readers to eat them everyday. I have consumed them almost every single day throughout my pregnancy, and literally I am a couple days away from delivering, yet on my feet getting the work done.
Khajur (Dates) are anti- inflammatory, so I haven't had any swelling or pains for the most part. So clearly, it works. After all the medicines I have put in my body, because of fertility treatments, now I try to treat myself as naturally as possible.
I always love to hear from my readers, because it gives me motivation to keep publishing new recipes every week. I will leave a contact form below, so it is easier for you to drop in and say hi!