Paan Thandai Shots are a perfect blend of nuts, spices, rose jam and refreshing betel leaves. Its piquant flavors will absolutely make your day. If you love paan, this recipe is for you.
What is Paan?
Paan is a mouth freshener famous in India, which is generally enjoyed after a hearty meal. The paan is made from Betel Leaves, which are very refreshing in flavor. These betel leaves are stuffed with rose jam, and nuts along with macerated cherries.
There are so many varieties of paan available these days, and the one that fascinates me the most is the paan on fire. I am yet to try it, but is definitely on my list.
What are Paan Thandai Shots?
These paan thandai shots are super easy to make. They make a great welcome drink for any parties you host for spring and summers. All you do is blend together betel leaves, rose jam, thandai masala, milk and sugar. You then strain it, and enjoy. It is that simple.
How to Make Thandai Masala?
Thandai Powder is a delicious spice blend made in the northern region of India. This spice blend is mostly enjoyed during the festival of Holi. I have fond memories of having Thandai in Shreenathji, Nathdwara.
You will Need
- Cup Pistachios
- Cup Green Cardamom
- Whole Black Peppercorns
- Dried Rose Petals / Buds
- Fennel Seeds
- Poppy Seeds
- Milk Powder Optional
Mix All the Ingredients together and blend them in a powder using your spice grinder.
Find my Full Detailed Recipe for Thandai Masala Here.
Where to Buy Rose Jam From?
Rose jam is also popularly known as Gulkand. You can buy it from your nearest Indian Store, or buy it from Amazon.
Where to Buy Paan Leaves from?
Paan leaves are available at your nearest Indian Store in the vegetable section. Ask the store manager if you can't find them on your own. They are also known as Betel Leaves.
Tips to Make Paan Shots
- Clean the Betel Leaves Properly - You want to rinse the paan leaves thorougly and make sure to remove all the dirt. Pat them dry using a clean kitchen towel. And then cut the thick stem off the leaves at the top.
- Have your ingredients measured and ready, before you start making the recipe
- You can also add 2 Tbsp freshly grated coconut if you like to the paan shots before blending it.
- You can also add Rum and Cointreau to make this drink boozy.
- Add more sugar if you like your drinks sweet.
More Drink Recipes From The Blog
Paan Thandai Shots
- 1 Blender
- 1 Strainer
- 5 Betel Leaves (Paan Leaves)
- 3 Tbsp Rose Jam Gulkand
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 2.5 Tbsp Thandai Powder
- 3 Cups Milk
- 1 Tbsp Dried Rose Petals For Garnishing
- Wash and pat dry the paan leaves.
- Tear the paan leaves into smaller pieces and add them to a blender jar.
- Next add the Rose Jam (gulkand), sugar, thandai powder and milk.
- Now blend on high speed, until everything is blended well. The color of your drink should look beautiful light pista green.
- Strain it, just to make sure it is silky smooth to drink.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour and serve chilled garnished with dried rose petals.
- This drink can be made ahead. You can make it the night before, refrigerate and serve it chilled the next day.
- Straining the drink is a must. I highly recommend not skipping this step.
- You can add more sugar if your rose jam is not sweet enough.
- This drink makes 8 servings of shots when served in 1.5oz to 2oz shot glasses.
- You can double the recipe to make a bigger quantity.
Leave a Reply