Call it Pulao, Pilaf, Veg Pulao or Vegetable Pulao. All this comes down to one bowl of hearty deliciousness. This veg pulao recipe is my family recipe, we used to enjoy on Sundays when everyone was bored of eating Vaghareli (Masala) Khichdi. The goodness of fried potatoes, Ivy gourd and caramelized onions bring a unique taste to this pulao. We get the crunch from green bell peppers and carrots.
This pulao is prepared a little differently than the usual. We cook the rice first. And prepare the masala separately. Once the rice is cooked and fluffed we add it to the prepared masala and voila your pulao is ready.
There are many varieties of Pulao in India and other middle eastern countries. This recipe is my family's little contribution to the beautiful recipes of pulao out there. I hope you try my recipe and love it as much as I do.
I would also love to know your version of veg pulao. Leave your beautiful versions of veg pulao in the comments. I would love to read them all.
- 2 Cups Long Grain Basmati Rice
- 4 Cups Water
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Small Cinammon Stick
- Salt to Taste
For the Pulao Masala
- 2 Medium Potatoes Cut into Chips
- 15 Fresh Ivy Gourds (Tindora) Cut into Chips
- 1 Small Onion Julienned (Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- 10 Cashews
- 1 Small Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 Cloves
- 3 Pepper Corns
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Pinch of Asafetida
- 1 Tbsp Kasuri Methi
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Tsp Grated Ginger
- 2 Tsp Green Chilies Finely Chopped
- 2 Whole Dry Red Chillies
- 1 Medium Onion Thinly Sliced
- 1 Large Carrot Thinly Sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Frozen/ Fresh Grean Peas
- 1 + 1/2 Tsp Red Chili Powder I am using Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin Coriander Powder (Dhanajeeru)
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 Tsp Kitchen King Masala if you don't have this, then add garam masala
- 1/2 Tsp Pulao/ Biryani Masala
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro
Cook the Rice
- Wash and soak 2 Cups of Basmati Rice for 10 mins.
- Now rinse the water.
- Add the rice to your pressure cooker. Along with whole spices as mentioned in the ingredient list above. Add salt.
- Close the pressure cooker. Cook it for 3 whistles. Release the pressure and open the pressure cooker.
- Use a fork to gently fluff the rice and let it cool
Prepare the Masala
- Start with frying the potato chips and ivy gourd chips. Fry them until they cook and turn golden.
- Next fry the onion to make crispy onions. Take these out when they turn golden brown.
- Keep them aside
- Now in a large heavy bottom pot, add oil and ghee. Next toast the cashews until golden. Keep them aside.
- Now in the same pot add all the whole spices in the order as listed above in the ingredient list under "for the masala".
- Add Cumin Seeds and pinch of asafetida. Let it sizzle. Add whole dry red chilies.
- Next add in crushed kasuri methi, garlic, ginger and green chilies. Sauté them.
- Add the thinly sliced onions and cook until it browns. Add salt to accelerate the process.
- Next goes in the carrots, green bell pepper and frozen/fresh peas. Let them cook for about 5-7 mins
- Now add the fried potatoes and ivy gourd.
- Next add in all the ground spices. Red chili powder, Cumin Coriander Powder, Garam Masala, Kitchen King Masala and Pulao/Biryani Masala.
- Next goes in finely chopped cilantro
Assemble the Pulao
- Add Half of the Cooked rice to the masala and give it a mix. Until everything incorporates well
- Now add in the other half of the rice and gently mix it making sure you don't break the rice, until everything incorporates well.
- Add cashews and crispy onions on the top, garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve Hot with your favorite Raita or Gujarati Kadhi
You might also like,