Chocolate Besan Ladoo is a fusion recipe of the traditional besan ladoos that we make on every special occasion. Besan ladoo have always been my favorite since my childhood. And common, who doesn't love chocolate. If you follow me for a while, you might know by now how much I love chocolate, and so I decide to club my two favorites this Diwali, into one bomb Fudgy Chocolaty Besan Ladoo.
What are Besan Ladoos?
Besan Ladoos are a traditional Indian Mithai (sweet) made with Chickpea Flour, Ghee, Cardamom, and Sugar. These are super simple and quick to make. And guess what, they are packed with protein. The beautifully roasted chickpea flour in ghee renders a delicious nutty taste and the sweet notes from cardamom bring a very earthy taste to these.
Why Chocolate Besan Ladoos?
For once, I felt this time that I should brainstorm something simple but a fusion recipe. Just hoping on the fusion recipe bandwagon here, which is loved by so much all. Chocolate and Besan Ladoos are two of my most loved sweets, so I thought of bringing them together. They taste absolutely delicious. So fudgy and nutty. Gosh, if you are reading this, you definitely have to give this recipe a try.
Ingredients to Make These Chocolate Besan Ladoos?
Besan - You will need a good quality besan. I use Laxmi Brand besan that is available at any Indian Store. As the besan is very lumpy we will sift it before using.
Cocoa Powder - It is very important to use a very good quality cocoa powder for this recipe. I highly recommend Guitard Cocoa Powder.
Ghee - Make sure you use melted ghee as per the measurements given. Add more ghee if the mix doesn't losen up.
Confectioners/ Icing Sugar - We will be using confectioners Sugar for this recipe as it mixes really well with the ladoos. If you don't have confectioners sugar, Grind 1/2 Cup of Castor Sugar into a fine powder and sift it to remove any big pieces.
Cardamom Powder - I make Cardamom Powder at home using the green cardamom seeds. But you can also use any store bought cardamom powder. I love the Morton and Bassett brand for cardamom powder, it smells fresh and has a very long shelf life.
Crushed Pistachios and Edible Golden Leaf - For Garnishing.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Jump To: Recipe
Chocolate Besan Ladoo
- A Non Stick Heavy Bottom Pot
- 2 Cups Besan
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 Cup Melted Ghee (3 times 1/4 cup is 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 Cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 Tbsp Crushed Pistachios For Granishing
- 3 Edible Gold Leaf For Garnishing (Optional)
- Sift besan and Cocoa powder in a wide mouth bowl. Keep it aside.
- Next sift the confectioners sugar in a separate bowl. Keep it aside.
- Measure and keep the ghee ready.
- Place a heavy bottom pan on a low flame. Add the besan and cocoa mixture.
- Roast the besan and cocoa mixture for 5-6 minutes stirring continuously. You will notice that it has become easier to move the spatula in the pot than you first started.
- At 5-6 minute mark, add ghee. You will be able to smell the nuttiness of besan and bitter sweet notes from the cocoa powder.
- You will notice, the mixture becoming lumpy, keep stiring it. Don't worry this is how it is supposed to look.
- Around 8-9 minutes in the roasting, you will notice that the mixture is loosening up as the besan roasts.
- Please don't stop stirring. Roasting the besan continuously is very important, or your besan might burn.
- By 20 mins, your besan will loosen up to a smooth consistency.
- We have roasted the besan long enough for it to be cooked thouroughly, and bring the nutty flavor. At this point, I bet your kitchen is smelling absolutely amazing, with the nutty and bitter sweet aroma from besan and cocoa powder.
- Turn off the stove. Mix it well. Take the mixture out in a heat proof bowl.
To Make Chocolate Besan Barks (Recommended to make for Summers)
- Chocolate rarely behaves during summer months, so setting this mix to make barks instead is a great option to make this recipe for summers.
- Add the Icing (confectioners)Sugar and cardamom and mix. Lay a parchment paper in baking tray. Pour the mix, and tap to flatten it. garnish with pistachip powder
- Refrigerate for 2 hours and cut into squares usig a sharp knife.
To Make Chocolate Besan Ladoos
- Let the mixture cool down for about 15 minutes. Mix the Confectioners Sugar and Cardamom Powder.
- You will have a dough like consistency. Take a Tbsp full of dough, and press it between your palms. Give the ladoos a round shape.
- Garnish them with edible gold leaf and crushed pistachios.
- Store them in an air tight container and enjoy.
- Roasting the Besan Flour - Patiently roast the besan and cocoa mixture. Stir continuously. Each stage of roasting is important. The besan will taste good only if it is roasted thoroughly. So make sure you roast it thoroughly until the nutty aroma comes through.
- Make sure your heat is at low at all times. If the besan mix burns, the ladoos won't taste good.
- Making the ladoos - Let the besan cool down completely and try to roll the ladoos. If you are not able to roll them yet, wait for 5-7 minutes more.
- If you like crunch texture in your ladoos, you can either use ladoo besan (it is nothing but coarsely ground besan) or add 2 Tbsps Semolina.
More Recipes from the blog that you might like
- Coconut Curry Soup with Dumplings
- Cranberry Pistachio Goat Cheese Log
- Rajasthani Pyaaz ki Kachori
- Haldi Masala Doodh | Golden Milk
- Creamy Dal Makhani
- Rose Gulkand Shrikhand Cups