It fascinates me how perfectly do we see fresh produce available just in time of the right season. As you all know, how scorching the summer sun is getting, I am feeling a little laid back in the kitchen. Don’t you feel the same? The other day I entered Whole Foods and I saw these fresh bunch of Rainbow Carrots and Rainbow Chards. Instantly I knew, what I am making for dinner. Ajay is not a huge fan of Salads basically all greens. Feeding him greens is a task for me trust me and if you don’t know who Ajay is, he is the husband.
I become a very reluctant cook when in times of summers. Being from Gujarat, most of my life I have been exposed to a lot of heat so probably California sun is still soothing for me. I often wonder how the women of the family managed to whip up a huge meal twice a day for family of 10.
I can literally live on salads and refreshing fruit juices in summers. It lets my body stay cool and mind a peaceful place. There is no space for laziness and lethargy in there , unless I decide to deep clean my three floored home, missing how easy it was to clean my one bedroom apartment. This is exactly what women do, its an irony of every man’s life.
What Are Chards?
Chards are a variety of beets family, although they don’t have a huge root. They are big leafy vegetables with thick juicy stalks. Chards are usually used in salads or cooked as vegetables. They are juicy and have a lot of water and fiber content and consumption of these during summers help our bodies to keep hydrated naturally.
Roasted Carrots and Rainbow Chards Salad with Creamy Mayo Dressing
- 1 Bunch Rainbow Carrots with Greens Chop them Into Medium Pieces
- 1 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar
- Salt to Taste
- 3 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Bunch Rainbow Chards Roughly Chopped
- 3 Tbsp Light Mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp Ranch
- 1 Tbsp Creamy Harissa Style Hot and Spicy Dressing
- 1 Tbsp Organic Honey
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Wash the Carrots + Carrot Greens and Rainbow Chards thoroughly.
- Now peel off the carrot skin and separate the carrot greens from thick stalks. Chop the carrots in medium sized pieces. Chop the Chards as shown in the picture.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F. Now take a bowl and the cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, brown sugar and salt. Give it a mix. Add olive oil to the spice mix and mix well. Glaze the carrots with this mix and place them in the oven tray layered with parchment paper. Reduce the temperature to 325 F and Roast them for 15 mins.
- While the carrots are roasting, make the dressing. In a cup, add light mayo, ranch , creamy harissa dressing and honey. Give it a mix
- To serve, In a plate or a bowl layer the chards, on top layer the carrot greens and then a layer of roasted carrots . Drizzle the dressing and add salt and pepper to taste. You can also mix the whole salad in a bowl along with the dressing and salt and pepper right before serving and serve as is. Enjoy this delicious salad with Pasta, Soups or Bread