There are lot of myths about consuming carrot greens which upsets me. They are called bunny food and most people tend to throw them away since they are not eaten in their culture. What upsets me the most about food myths is, that some foods are superfoods packed with nutrients to protect your body from so many incurable diseases. One of these superfoods are Carrot Greens.
The health benefits from carrot greens are innumerable, but some bodies don't adapt to them and face indigestion issues. Don't worry, that is very rare. The same fact works out for potatoes too. But we still eat them and love them, right?
I posted this a couple of days before on my
What are the Benefits of Eating Carrot Greens?
Carrot Greens have nutrients like Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Dietary Fibers, Iron, Calcium, etc... And you might say that we get these from all other greens too. But, lets just add one more type from the many greens we eat in our bucket.
Carrot Greens have numerous health benefits and I am going to list them down here. Also, I am going to add some links for you guys to visit some websites to source the information from in detail. I am quoting the following from https://drhealthbenefits.com/food-bevarages/vegetables/health-benefits-of-carrot-leaves.
Boost Immune System
Help Preventing Tumor Growth
Act as Mild Diuretics - (This is very important at this time since "Summer is Coming"
Aid in Detoxification
Support the Digestive System
Help in Maintaining Muscle Endurance
Promote Bone Health
Helps Maintaining Eye Health
Regulate Blood Pressure
Serve as Menstruation Supplement
Help Treating Kidney Problems
Relieve Migraine Headaches
Carrot Greens and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 Medium Onion You can use either Red or White
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato Chopped in Medium Sized Peices
- 5 Small Carrots + Their Greens Chopped and remove the Stems of the Greens
- 1 Tsp Grated Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp Red Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chili Flakes
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil I have added more oil because we will be making chili oil and keeping it aside for our soup topping
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Cream Canned or Fresh
- Salt to Taste
- 1 + 1/2 Cup Water or Vegetable Stock
- 1 Tbsp Honey You can add upto 2 Tbsp if you want your soup to be a little sweeter
- In a heavy bottom, pot on a medium-low flame, add 4 Tbsp oil. Once heated add Red chili flakes. Sauté and keep about 2 Tbsp of chili oil separately to use the chili oil for topping on the soup before serving.
- Add sliced onions and let them caramelize. Once they caramelize add grated garlic and sauté.
- Once the garlic browns up a little add the veggies. Add Red Cayenne Pepper, Oregano and Salt. Mix the veggies well with the spices and add water/ vegetable stock. Stir well and Let it simmer for 10-15 mins.
- Once the vegetables are boiled and the water is reduced by 1/3rd. Turn off the stove and let it cool.
- Once cool add to your mixer jar and grind it.
- Once the soup is pureed nice and soft strain it using a strainer to have a nice smooth texture.
- Add it back to the heavy bottom saucepan on a medium-high flame, Add about
- Add coconut cream, give it a nice mix, simmer it for 5 minutes and you the soup is ready.
- Top your soup with some coconut cream and chili oil. Serve hot with Garlic bread or rice. We enjoyed it with garlic bread and wild rice.