Rajma Masala is an Indian Curry delicately spiced with rich Indian spices smeared in onion tomato gravy, so scrumptious that it literally melts in your mouth. This curry is healthy, gluten-free and vegan. We enjoy this curry with Jeera Rice or Plain Rice.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time7 mins
Total Time27 mins
- 1 Cup Red Kidney Beans Rinse, Drain and Soak them Overnight
- 1 Medium Red Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 Medium Tomato Finely Chopped
- 2 Tsp Ginge Garlic Green Chlli Paste
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Small Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Dry Red Pepper
- 1 Tsp Kasuri Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves)
- 2 Tbsp Scallions Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tsp Red Chili Powder if spicy reduce it to 1 Tsp. My Chili powder is not very spicy
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- 2 Tbsp Oil I use grapeseed oil for all my cooking as it is healthier than other oils, but you can use vegetable oil, or any oil of your choice
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro Finely Chopped
Rinse, Drain and Soak 1 Cup of Red Kidney Beans overnight in 2 cups of water
Drain the water next morning and pressure cook the soaked Rajma with 2 cups of water + Salt for about 7-8 whistles.
In a Heavy Bottom Pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds, bay leaf, a pinch of asafoetida (hing), a small cinnamon stick and a whole dry red pepper.
Once the Cumin seeds start to splutter, add chopped scallions and kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves). Sauté them until it starts smelling nice and roasted.
Add finely chopped onions and salt. Adding salt at this stage will help onions cook faster. Let them caramelize a little.
Add Ginger Garlic and Green Chili Paste and sauté until the raw smell goes away.
Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, and 1/2 tsp garam masala. We will use another 1/2 Tsp of garam masala in the end. Sauté well untill tomatoes are nice and mushy.
Keep 1 cup of Boiled Rajma Rajma separately and mash them using a masher or your hands.
Once the tomatoes are mushy, add the mashed rajma and mix them well with all the spices.
Now add the whole boiled Rajma and give it a nice mix.
Add 1/2 cup of water. I use the same water using which I boiled my Rajma. This water will have all the nutrients present from Rajma and I don"t like to throw it away. Add Kasuri Methi and Garam Masala. Give it a mix and let it boil for another two minutes and enjoy with Jeera rice or Plain Rice.