No Fry Vada Pav is slightly an easy and faster twist on the classic vada pav recipe. If you are craving vada pav, try this recipe!
No Fry Vada Pav is a fun recipe to make for your family on rainy days, that is also easy, quick and fuss-free. As an immigrant, I know how much I crave Indian Street Food. But, at the same time, I avoid frying as much as possible. So I definitely need a middle ground to satisfy my cravings. This recipe is a perfect way to treat yourself to your favorite food.
What is a Vada Pav?
Vada Pav is the famous street food of Maharashtra. Beautiful,buttery-soft pav is stuffed with special dry garlic chutney and stuffed with a potato fritter. This is one of India's most famous and loved street foods, and one cannot go wrong with it. You can also add cheese to these street food bites and they are gorgeous and delicious.
Why make a No-Fry Recipe?
I like to make fuss-free and approachable recipes. Frying takes up a lot of time and also creates a lot of mess along with the tedious clean-up. No fry recipe simply helps you to enjoy your food, without spending hours in the kitchen prepping for the same.
How to Make This Recipe?
I have broken down the recipe into 5 parts for you to easily understand the preparation.
Part 1 - Make the Potato Masala
Start with Boiling The Potatoes. I use Instant Pot to Boil The Potatoes. Once the Potatoes are boiled and cooled. Mash the potatoes. Start adding the aromatics and spices to the potatoes. Add ginger, garlic, green chili paste, turmeric, garam masala, sugar, salt, and lime juice along with lots of cilantro. Prepare the tempering by heating up some oil in a saucepan. Add white sesame seeds and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds start to crackle add roughly chopped curry leaves. Add the tempering to the mashed potatoes, and mix everything with a spatula. Taste it, and adjust the salt if needed. Keep It Aside.
Part 2 - Make The Chickpea Flour Batter
To a mixing bowl, add chickpea flour, rice flour, spices, and salt. Add water little by little and start making a lump-free batter. The batter should be smooth and medium-thick consistency. Set it aside.
Part 3 - Make The Garlic Chutney
You can buy this chutney in Indian Stores and totally skip this step. To make this chutney, you need garlic cloves with skin on, roasted peanuts, dry coconut, salt and red chili powder. Pulse until powdered. Now add Peanut Oil to the Chutney and set it aside.
Part 4 - Prep The Bread
You can use any bread of your choice. I am using regular white bread. With a cookie cutter cut the bread into rounds, or skip this step, and just cut the sides of the bread.
Part 5 - Assemble Vada Pav and Pan Toast
Take two slices of bread, and slather each side with the prepared chutney. Add the potato masala on top of one of the prepped bread slices. Add some cheese. Now place the second bread on the top. Make these sandwiches until the masala is done.
Add a little bit of oil to a frying pan. Let it heat up on a medium flame. Now dip either side of the vada pav sandwiches we made in the chickpea batter. And quickly place it in the frying pan. Toast it on medium flame on either side until well done.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Loaded Nachos
- Watermelon & Strawberry Agua Fresca
- Masala Chai
- Sooji Pudla
- Potato Masher
- Frying Pan
- 4 Large Boiled Potatoes
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, Garlic and Green Chili Paste
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 Tbsp Cilantro Roughly Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp White Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 5-6 Curry Leaves Roughly Chopped
- 2 Cups Besan / Chickpea Flour
- 1/4 Cup Rice Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Carrom Seeds Ajwain
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Coriander-Cumin Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Salt add more if needed
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro Roughly Chopped
- 2 Cups Water I used about 1.75 cups of water
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 10-12 Cloves Garlic with skin
- 1/4 Cup Peanuts Roasted
- 3 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Dessicated Coconut
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1.5 Tbsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 5 Tbsp Oil For Cooking The Vada Pav
- 24 Slices Bread
- 1/3 Cup Shredded Cheese
- Add boiled potatoes to a bowl. Mash them using a potato masher.
- To this add ginger, garlic, green chili paste, turmeric, garam masala, sugar, lime juice, salt and cilantro.
- Prepare the tempering. Add Oil to a sauce pan. Let it heat up on medium flame.
- Once hot, add mustard seeds and whie sesame seeds. Let them crackle.
- Next add in roughly chopped curry leaves and add the tempering to the potato masala.
- Mix the potato masala thoroughly, with a spatula. Taste it to adjust salt, if needed. Set it aside
- Add besan, rice flour, ajwain, turmeric, dhanyajeera, red chili powder, turmeric and salt along with clinatro.
- Slowly start adding water and mixing the batter with a whisk. Make a medium thick smooth batter. Adding little water and mixing at the same time, will make sure your batter doesn't have any lumps.
- We will add baking soda right before pan frying the vada pavs
- Add all the ingredients listed in the ingredient list under vada pav chutney in a spice blender jar.
- Pulse until you get finely coarse powdered chuteny.
- Set it aside.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut rounds of the bread slices. You will have 24 round slices of bread.
- Apply the prepared Chutney on all the round slices of bread.
- Now to the 12 Slices of Bread, add prepared potato masala about 2 tbsps full of potato masala. Add some cheese on top.
- Top the remaining 12 slices of bread on the potato masala, chutney side down.
- Place a non-stick frying pan on the stove on medium heat.
- Add 5-6 tbsp's oil. Let it heat up.
- In the meantime add half teaspoon baking soda to the prepared chickpea batter. Mix it thoroughly.
- Now dip either sides of our prepared vada pavs in the chickpea batter.
- Place them in the frying pan. Let it cook slowly on medium low flame for 2 mins, and flip it and cook the other side for 2 mins. If you see raw batter on the sides, use a pair of tongs, hold the vada pav side ways, and cook the sides by rotating in a circular motion
- Don't over crowd the frying pan. I am using 12inch frying pan and added three vada pavs at a time. Finish pan frying all the vada pavs and serve hot with vada pav chutney and green chutney.
- I boil potatoes in the instant pot. Place a trivet in your instant pot. Add 2 cups of water and 1/2 tsp salt. Place washed whole potatoes on the trivet. Secure the Instant Pot lid. Press Steam and cook for 11 minutes on high pressure. Do a quick pressure release, 5 minutes after the Instant Pot beeps to Let you know your potatoes are done. Take the potatoes out, and let them cool down completely.
- To Pressure Cook, the Potatoes, Use a 6 qt Pressure cooker. Add washed potatoes and 2-3 cups of water. Add 1/2 tsp salt and cover with the pressure cooker lid. Cook the potatoes on a medium flame for 6-7 whistles. Let the pressure cooker naturally cool down. Take the potatoes out, and let them cool down completely.
- To save time you can buy the store-bought vada pav chutney, boil the potatoes beforehand, and cut the rounds of the bread in advance.
- Don't worry, you don't have to throw away the remaining parts of the bread. You can make your own bread crumbs or use the bread in making tikkis, dosa batter, or make bread upma.