Thandai Powder is a delicious spice blend made in the northern region of India. This spice blend is mostly enjoyed during the festival of Holi. I have fond memories of having Thandai in Shreenathji, Nathdwara.
I have fond memories of enjoying thandai in Shreenathji, in India. We almost used to visit every year before I moved here to the states. The gorgeous pouring show from an amazing height from one glass to the other, to make the thandai frothy was a work of art.
The vendors would freshly ground the spice mix and serve it. The creamy thandai has my heart. One day, I want to take Baby V to this place. To show her how culturally rich India, and how everyone understands love through food.
Is Thandai Masala Vegan?
I add milk powder to make it creamier. To make it vegan, skip milk powder. To make Thandai, you can use Oat milk, Coconut Milk or Almond Milk, for the best and creamiest texture and taste.
- Spice Grinder
- 1/2 Cup Almonds
- 1/2 Cup Cashews
- 1/3 Cup Pistachios
- 1/3 Cup Green Cardamom
- 1 Tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 Cup Dried Rose Petals / Buds
- 1 Tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Saffron
- 1/4 Cup Milk Powder Optional
- Measure all the ingredients and keep them in a plate, except milk powder and saffron
- Mix the ingredients.
- Add them to the spice grinder jar and pulse until you get a coarse powder.
- Do it in batches, if you own a smaller spice grinder.
- Make sure you don't over grind it. The nuts start to release oils and the spice mix with oily moist texture won't be good.
- Once you have the powdered spice mix ready, add milk powder and saffron. Mix thoroughly until everything is well incorporated.
- Store it in an air tight jar / mason jar in the fridge for upto 2 months.
- The masala tastes nicer, if consumed fresh so try to finish it atleast within a month.
- While grinding, pulse it at 10 sec intervals, to make sure the nuts don’t release any oil, and you are not over grinding the spice mix. We are looking for coarse texture.
- This spice mix makes as a great gift to your friends and family.
- Send them mini jars with personal notes and they will absolutely love it.