Semiya Payassam or Vermicelli Kheer is a delicious milk based sweet with added goodness of vermicelli sev, sugar and cardamom powder along with roasted nuts in ghee. This delicious Indian sweet has many different names and versions that are created all over India, and easily is everyone’s favorite.
If my husband and I agree on one thing, then this is it. We love a warm bowl of seviya payasam. This sweet can be enjoyed both warm and chilled. It is so easy and quick to make. A perfect sweet for any celebration. We absolutely love it.
I learnt this recipe from a friend, when I used to work in Chicago, IL. She used to make this for me so often. And who doesn’t like a warm sweet hug from a bowl after long day at work. I moved back to California to be with my husband, but I truly miss her and her family. They were like my family. Thank you for teaching me how to make this.
- 3 Cups Whole Milk Milk full fat
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 2 Tbsp Cashews
- 2 Tbsp Almonds you can even use raisins
- 1/4 Cup Vermiceli
- 1/4 Cup Sugar (Add more Sugar as per your taste)
- 1/4 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Saffron (dissolved in 1 TBSP milk) Optional, I don't add it
- Heat the ghee in a pan. Add cashews and almonds. Toast them for a few seconds and keep them aside.
- Next in the same pan Toast the vermiceli until it turns golden. Keep it aside.
- Now in a heavy bottom pot, add milk. Start to boil the milk. Once the milk reduces to about 3/4th quantity stirring it continuously. So the milk doesn't stick to the pot.
- Now add in the sugar, cardamom powder, vermiceli and toasted nuts. Mix well.
- Lastly, if you wish to add saffron, add it now. Mix everything well.
- Serve hot or chilled garnished with rose petals, almonds, cashews, raisins. You can use any of these toppings. Enjoy!