I have loved Kathiyavadi cuisine ever since my childhood. This curry is my absolute favorite. Lasaniya Bateta aka curried garlicky potatoes needs just basic ingredients. This curry is super easy and absolutely delicious packed with flavors and so it is loved by all.
Lasaniya Bateta is beautifully flavored with garlic and its gets its gorgeous color from kashmiri red chilies. The Curried Garlicky Potatoes are delicious and super easy to make. It works for an easy weekly lunch/dinner with a side of lentils curry and Indian Flat bread.
Curried Garlicky Potatoes
Lush red tomatoes, freshly peeled garlic and the whole dried chilies soaked in warm water makes a scrumptious curry sauce to make this beautiful curried garlicky potatoes. We fry the onions patiently until they are transparent and they release a soft sweet aroma. Add the lush sauce to the fried onions and let it simmer on a slow flame till the oil separates. Add the boiled baby potatoes and garnish with some cilantro. There, this gorgeous curry is ready to be served.
I make this curry for friends and family and it is always a hit. If you are a lover of spicy food, garlic flavors and Indian food, this curry is definitely for you to try. This delicious curry is served with Indian Flatbread and rice. We also make lentils curry or dal and plain rice to make this as a wholesome meal. A condiment of Jaggery and clarified butter/ghee is added to the meal, to balance out the spice in this curry.
For the Boiled Potatoes
- 12-15 Baby Potatoes
- 4 -5 Cups Water
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
For the Curry Sauce
- 4-5 Whole Kashmiri Dried Red Chillies
- 1 Medium Roma Tomato or about 1/3rd cup of diced tomatoes
- 15-16 Garlic Cloves If they are big cloves you can use about 12 garlic cloves.
For the Final Curry
- 3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Asafetida/ Hing
- 1 Tbsp Lasaniya (Dried Garlic Chutney) This chutney is made with red chili powder, garlic cloves, salt and sesame seeds.
- 1 Medium Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Stems Cilantro (finely chopped for garnishing)
To Boil the Potatoes
- In a heavy bottom pot, bring water to boil. Once the water is boiling add the rinsed baby potatoes and salt. Give it a stir and let them boil.
- Boil until a fork pierces through softly. Drain the water and show the potatoes in cold water. While the potatoes are still warm peel the skin off and pierce holes in the potatoes using a fork.
For the Curry Sauce
- Soak the dried kashmiri red chilies in warm water for about 15-20 mins. In the meantime chop onions, tomatoes and peel the garlic.
- Once ready, in a blender jar add tomatoes, dried red chillies (no water) and garlic cloves. Pulse it is a smooth paste.
For the Final Curry Sauce
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan on a medium flame add oil. Once heated, add the cumin seeds and let them splutter. Next add asafetida/hing.
- Now add the finely chopped/ crushed onions. Let the cook slowly until the raw aroma is gone and they turn transparent. You can add salt at this stage to accelerate the process.
- Now add the curry sauce we prepared earlier. Let it cook. add a dash of water in the blender jar and shake it well, to make sure you get all that curry.
- Once the oil starts separate, add the boiled baby potatoes. Mix well and simmer until the potatoes soak all that curry in.
- Now take it off the flame, garnish with cilantro and serve it with hot phulkas or parathas.
Follow us on Instagram by clicking the link below:
You might also like,
- My Sweet Little Wildflower – Inaaya, This is us and our Birth Story
- We are having a baby!!! She is Almost Here!!!
- Dates & Figs Nuts Burfi | Dates & Figs Nuts Energy Balls | Khajur Anjeer Burfi
- Beetroot Rice Recipe| South Indian Style Beetroot Rice
- Instant Thandai Recipe | Vegan Thandai Recipe Option
Try this Lasaniya Bateta recipe and let me know how it turns out.