As I grew up in a strict Gujarati household, eggs were not allowed in the house. My dad used to take us to Raju Omelette, a very famous egg joint in Gujarat, on the weekends. Their masala egg curry aka boiled egg tikka and masala half fry has always been my favorite. This Masala Egg Curry is prepared in an onion tomato gravy using whole spices like cinnamon and bay leaf with the slowly cook ground Indian spices.
Recipe for this Masala Egg Curry/ Boiled tikka is very easy to follow so it is a must try. It is easy, delicious and is prepared with basic pantry ingredients. I am sure if you try this egg curry, you will never go back to any other masala egg curry.
Spiced Egg Curry aka Boiled Tikka
There are variety of recipes available for this egg curry. My recipe for masala egg curry is different because I have infused cilantro and dried fenugreek leaves in the curries tadka. The flavor infused by these herbs make this spiced egg curry more tastier. This egg curry also uses whole and ground Indian spices which are slowly cooked and simmered, and hence this curry is tingles all the flavors as you take it in.
We use ground spices like kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala. These masalas are added to the curry as soon as the tomatoes are a little mushy. Then, these ground spices are simmered on a slow flame. The flavors ooze out in the egg curry which makes it absolutely scrumptious.
Let’s Make this Recipe!
Eggs – You need boiled eggs for this recipe. I boil water in a heavy bottom pot. Once it comes to a boil I add the eggs gently in the water. I let them boil in the water for 12 minutes. Then put them in iced cold water. Once cool I peel them off. and keep them aside.
Butter – The butter gives a gorgeous texture to this egg curry. I also used coconut oil to make it healthy, but if you want to make an indulgent curry I would recommend to use only butter.
Whole Spices – Whole spices like Cinnamon Stick, Bay Leaf and Dried Red Chili are used. They infuse flavors in the curry like no other spices.
Ground Spices – Red Chili Powder, Turmeric Powder , Coriander Powder and Garam Masala are used.
Herbs – Cilantro and Dried Fenugreek Leaves are used for this recipe. These give a beautiful aroma and flavor to the curry.
Onions and Tomatoes – We will use onions, green onions and tomatoes to make the base gravy for masala egg curry.
Indian Masala (Spiced) Egg Curry aka Boiled Tikka
For Roasting The Boiled Eggs (Optional)
- 1 Tbsp Oil Use oil of your choice.
- 1 Tsp Butter
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric
- 6 Boiled Eggs
For the Masala Curry
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Small Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Small Bay Leaf
- 1 Dried Red Chilly
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Tbsp Ginger Garlic and Green Chili Paste
- Handful of Chopped Cilantro Leave some for garnishing
- 2 Tbsp Kasuri Methi
- 2 Stems Green Onions
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 1 +1/2 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala/ Egg Curry Masala
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 + 1/2 Cup Water
For Roasting the Eggs
- Pierce the eggs with a fork from all side. This step and next is necessary if you wish to add whole eggs in your curry. If not, just slice the boiled eggs into rounds and keep them aside.
- In a heavy bottom Sauté Pan, add Oil and butter. Once the butter melts add Red Chili Powder and Turmeric Powder. Make sure the stove is on a low flame so you don't burn the spices. Now add the boiled eggs to it. Let them roast on all side.
For the Masala Curry
- In the same pan add finely chopped onions. Let them cook until transparent.
- Now add the ginger, garlic and green chili paste. Sauté until the raw flavor is gone.
- Now add cilantro, green onions and kasuri methi. Quickly give it a mix and add tomatoes. Cook the tomatoes until mushy.
- Now add the ground spices i.e red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Let everything cook properly on a slow flame. The juices from tomatoes and the flavors from the spices will enhance with slow cooking.
- Now add water and mix well. Bring it to a boil and add the boiled eggs. Garnish it with cilantro and add serve hot with Plain rice, ghee rice or rotis
You might also like