Summers are here and we are finally enjoying the sun. And if the sun is out, that totally means a lot of hikes, swimming and spending time at the lake. But oh wait, what happens at the end of the day? The husband opens the freezer and looks for a chilled dessert to end his day right. Does this happen to you too? There are somedays where I don’t get enough time to get the desserts ready and my family will go upside down on those days. Funny! We absolutely love our desserts and we want them to be healthy to enjoy them guilt free during the weekdays , as weekends are quite indulging.
What are Layered Popsicles?
The popsicles that have two or more flavors and are separated distinctly in their appearance are called Layered Popsicles.
These popsicles are very simple to make. All you have to do is get the mixture for your chosen flavors ready. In this case, I have Strawberry- Rhubarb Mixture and Lemon Cream Mixture. If you are using a Silicon Popsicle Mold like I do, you want to freeze it a couple of hours before. When your mixture is ready, you want to pour in your first mixture in the mold and freeze it for about 30-45 mins. After this you want to add the second mixture, here its the Lemon Cream mixture and then cover the popsicles, insert the popsicle sticks and freeze it for about 6-8 hours and ta da… layered popsicles will be ready.
What will you need to make Strawberry- Rhubarb and Lemon Cream Popsicles?
This recipe makes 5 Popsicles. For this recipe you will need Rhubarb, Strawberry, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Sweetener of your Choice (Here I have used Blue Agave Syrup), Whole Milk, Heavy Cream, Vanilla Extract, Lemon Extract and Poppy Seeds. You any of your favorite cookies for the crumble and you are all set.
Are you new to using Rhubarb?
Rhubarb is a medium to long stemmed vegetable which looks very similar to Celery. You will mostly be able to find this vegetable in your local grocery store in Summers. Rhubarb has a very tart flavor and is usually paired with different fruits and eaten in the form of desserts like pie, crumbles, popsicles, etc… Because of their tartness, they are usually soaked in sugar, honey, agave, or any sweetener to balance their tangy taste.
Mostly Rhubarb is sold without its leaves, but if you buy Rhubarb with its leaves, you want to cut the leaves and throw it away as they are Poisonous and Inedible.
Can you make these Vegan?
Absolutely we can make these popsicles vegan. Replace the whole milk with full fat coconut milk and Cream with Coconut Cream. These are very simple to make and can be made vegan friendly easily.
Layered Strawberry-Rhubarb and Lemon Cream Popsicles Topped with Cookie Crumble
- Nutri Bullet
- 2 Stems Rhubarb 1 inch Chopped Stems.
- 1 Cup Chopped Strawberries
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Lemon Zest
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Palm Sugar You can use a sweetener of your choice
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/4 Cup Half and Half or Heavy Cream
- 1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 + 1/2 Tsp Pure Lemon Extract
- 1/4 Cup Agave Syrup You can use a sweetener of your choice.
- 1/4 Cup Cookie Crumble You can use the cookies you like. I used simple, traditional vanilla cookie crumble.
- For the 1st Layer:In a heavy bottom sauce pan add the chopped Rhubarb and Strawberries. Add Lemon juice and Lemon Zest. Now add the sweetener of your choice. Now place the sauce pan on the stove on medium high heat. Stir it occasionally until the strawberries and rhubarb are cooked and mushy. Keep it aside to cool. Once cooled, add the sauce in Nutri Bullet Cup and Mix it until soft puree is formed. Adjust the sweetness as per your taste. Pour it into the popsicle mold halfway and Freeze for about 30-45 minutes.
- For the 2nd Layer:Add Whole Milk + Half and Half/ Cream to the Nutri Bullet Cup. Add Pure Vanilla Extract and Pure Lemon Extract. Add the sweetener of your choice and give it a mix until every thing is thoroughly mixed. Adjust the sweetness as per your taste. Add 1 Tbsp of Poppy seeds if you would like and give it a stir. Once the Strawberry-Rhubarb Mixture is frozen for 30-45 minutes, add the lemon cream mixture. Cover it and add the popsicle sticks.
- Freeze it for about 6-8 hours.
- To take the Popsicles out of the Mold, take out the mold from the freezer and rest it outside for about 5 minutes. Now Gently tap the popsicle mold and pull the popsicles out.
- Sprinkle your favorite Cookie Crumble and Serve.
I have inserted the links to the products I have used to make this recipe. Do check it out! I really like them and recommend them for you to try if you are looking to purchase these.
Follow me on Instagram for Daily Updates